1. Introduction: Nature of Radar, Maximum Unambiguous Range, Radar Waveforms, Simple form of Radar Equation, Radar Block Diagram and Operation, Radar Frequencies and Applications. Related Problems.
2. Radar Equation : Prediction of Range Performance, Minimum Detectable Signal, Receiver Noise and SNR, Integration of Radar Pulses, Radar Cross Section of Targets (simple targets - sphere, cone- sphere), Transmitter Power, PRF and Range Ambiguities, System Losses (qualitative treatment)
3. CW and Frequency Modulated Radar : Doppler Effect, CW Radar – Block Diagram, Isolation between Transmitter and Receiver, Non-zero IF Receiver, Receiver Bandwidth Requirements, Applications of CW radar. FM-CW Radar, Range and Doppler Measurement, Block Diagram and Characteristics (Approaching/ Receding Targets), FM-CW altimeter, Measurement Errors, Multiple Frequency CW Radar.
4. MTI and Pulse Doppler Radar: Introduction, Principle, MTI Radar with - Power Amplifier Transmitter and Power Oscillator Transmitter, Delay Line Cancellers ,Limitations to MTI Performance, MTI versus Pulse Doppler Radar.
5. Tracking Radar: Tracking with Radar, Sequential Lobing, Conical Scan, Monopulse Tracking Radar –Amplitude Comparison Monopulse (one- and two- coordinates).
6. Detection of Radar Signals in Noise: Introduction, Matched Filter Receiver – Response Characteristics and Derivation, Correlation Function and Cross-correlation Receiver, Matched Filter with Non-white Noise.
7. Radar Receivers: Noise Figure and Noise Temperature. Displays – types. Introduction to Phased Array Antennas – Basic Concepts, Radiation Pattern, Applications, Advantages and Limitations.
1) Radar Systems (old edition, for reading), click to download
2) Radar Systems (New edition, for problems), click to download